What’s missing from the iPad?
* Optical audio out
* A camera (preferably 5 mp, AF)
* LED flash unit
* A front-facing webcam (ideally 2 mp, supporting 720p capture)
* Stereo speakers, (similar to the one in the iPhone, but at each end of the device)
* Horizontal dock connector (perhaps covered with a sliding door)
* Widescreen HD display, similar to the 2/3 iPod aspect ratio (with at least 720P resolution)
* Adobe Flash support
* Java support
* SD card slot
* (perhaps) Dual-core CPU
With all this, you’d certainly have a netbook killer. So what, you may say? Well, as Netbooks are selling like hotcakes but not really innovating or satisfying, it could take over from there. I think this is much more realistic than taking on the e-Readers, which need e-ink displays to be viable, though aren’t suitable for web-browsing. I can see all this arriving even by the time of the third iPad, but earlier- even this year- in other manufacturer’s Windows 7 or Android machines.
Well, since we are speculating, how about some future tech for the next batch, too? It might sound exotic, but I’d say this and more is all feasible in the next few years. I remember how much the iPhone blew (and still blows) me away, so let’s have an open mind…
Wishlist for G4 iPad/ HP Slate
* Multitouch, 3D-capable, 1080p 7" screen
* HDMI 1.4 3D output
* 4-core, 2Ghz CPU
* 12MP (flat) 5x optical zoom camera ,with backlit sensor,
* ‘Stereo’ dual front video webcams, capable of 120fps, 1080p 3D video capture
* 1TB/2TB Flash Storage
* SDXC card slot
* USB 3
* 50 hour video playback
* Behind screen HE (high efficiency) solar panels
* Kinetic charger, that constantly recharges as the device moves
* Foldaway analogue joy-pads
* Universal remote, capable of controlling curtains and lights as well as A/V systems
* Laser-projected keyboard, for mid-air typing/ gestures
* ‘Make the tea’ button on the SE (special edition) model.
I think that’s enough. For now.
As it could well be…